1. Even the classics were made for the big screenEven films made in the real olden days were made to be seen this way; from tiny details to massive set pieces, you’ll get more out of them on an epic screen.
2. And they’re often remastered with today’s techNo film is above a bit of cosmetic improvement. Modern day tech can breathe new life into the classics, such as 4K remasterings.
Here’s an amazing fact: the chemical film used in the pre-digital age was capable of capturing just as much detail as a modern 4K camera - it’s just that there was no way of projecting it. Now there is. So film companies have begun converting the old classics to be seen in 4K cinemas. That means we’re in for a new golden age of ultra-high definition, totally immersive cinema-going not just for new films, but every film you’ve ever loved.
3. No second screening, no distractionsEver noticed how, when you watch films at home, you end up not properly watching them? There’s always that washing to hang out, or that level of Candy Crush to complete...But sit down in the dark and you’ll give every film your undivided attention.
4. You can catch up with your friends’ favesYou will never again have to be That Person dealing with incredulous looks and disparaging cries of “You’ve never seen Citizen Kane/E.T./The Goonies???”
5. And if you’ve seen them, you can relive them properlyMaybe you’ve seen all the films; in which case this is a chance to see your childhood favourites and forgotten gems in all their big screen, Dolby-level audio glory. Iconic lines, unforgettable songs, bracing for the scare or the big laugh - all way more fun in the cinema.
6. When you’ve seen them, you can share themWe never forget the films we first saw on the big screen and, if you love a film, chances are your kids (or uncultured mates) will too. Give them the full cinematic experience and they’ll thank you forever.
7. PopcornNever tastes as good at home, does it?
WHAT’S COMING UP
Batman (17 May)
It’s a classic because... it was the first time superheroes were taken seriously on the big screen
Even if you haven’t seen it you’ll know: Jack Nicholson’s terrifying Joker makeup
Best way to convince a friend to come: “It’s old school Tim Burton!”
It’s a classic because... one word, three syllables: Catwoman
Even if you haven’t seen it you’ll know: that a waddle of penguins can raise an abandoned child and turn him into Danny DeVito
Best way to convince a friend to come: “Haven’t you ever wanted to see two full grown men run around dressed as a bat and a penguin and a full grown woman run around dressed as a cat?”
Batman ReturnsBook Now
It’s a classic because... it’s actually four classics in one
Even if you haven’t seen it you’ll know: Kilmer, Keaton and Clooney in one sitting is always going to be worthwhile.
Best way to convince a friend to come: “I’ll buy the coffees.”
Batman The Anthology MarathonBook Now
It’s a classic because... of its graphic and unflinching portrayal of war.
Even if you haven’t seen it you’ll know: that harrowing 27-minute opening sequence depicting the the Normandy landings.
Best way to convince a friend to come: “It’s one of the greatest war films ever made, it deserves to be seen in the cinema. Plus: Tom Hanks."