It was the year that gave us Toxic, the terms ‘podcast’, ‘life hack’ and ‘social media’ and Napoleon Dynamite urged us to Vote For Pedro - 2004 was a heady time. It’s hard to believe it’s been fourteen whole years since Pixar bestowed the gift of The Incredibles on us - it seems like, maybe, four years max.
But with the film’s sequel finally coming out soon, we’re getting all nostalgic; so let’s take a look back at ‘04...
1. An entire generation learned the dangers of incorporating a cape into your superhero costume
Fourteen years but the Incredible family haven’t aged a day…literally, tho: the sequel, out 13 July, picks up right where the original left off. This time, Elastigirl gets to save the day while Bob stays home with Jack-Jack and his laser beam eyeballs. Early reactions are in and they’re pretty, well, incredible - just like 14 years ago, then.
Get Incredibles 2 tickets and times.
2. Matthew McConaughey was a rom com lead
In 2004 we knew him from films like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Ten years later…he won an Oscar.
4. We made new friends
5. Destiny’s Child released their fourth – and final – album
Destiny Fulfilled came out in 2004. The band announced their split in 2005 and we were devastated. But it did initiate…THE RISE OF BEYONCE!
In 2004, Amy Poehler became Tina Fey’s co-host on Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update, making it the first time the show had been anchored by two women. It was also the year that Tina Fey wrote and co-starred in cult classic Mean Girls, which we’re still quoting to this day.
8. You were nobody without a Von Dutch trucker cap
These hats were the absolute height of cool for no fathomable reason.
9. “That’s hot” was the catchphrase of the year
10. We still don’t and never will understand what went on on that island
11. And 2004 will always be the year that gave us James Blunt
Same, Edna. Same.