The hottest shows to watch at Vue, live from...
THE THEATRE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
The 40 buzzing theatres in London’s West End range from basement stages where stars learn their craft to 2,000-seater auditoriums where the world’s biggest shows sell out for months. Drawing A-list talent from Tom Hardy to Benedict Cumberbatch, the West End is the world’s top drama destination where good seats are like gold dust. Get a front row view with us.
- Everybody’s Talking about Jamie, the uplifting Apollo Theatre smash about a teenage drag queen that’s now being turned into a film. Get Everybody’s Talking about Jamie tickets and times.
THE TRUE HOME OF SHAKESPEARE
400 years after the world’s most famous writer put Stratford-upon-Avon on the map, it’s still home to a theatre group with his name. The Royal Shakespeare Company gave us Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh, Ian McKellen and Judi Dench and still brings the world’s best actors to the Stratford stage. Watch them on the big screen and feel the centuries roll away.
THE ULTRAMODERN DRAMA WORKSHOP
Everything cutting-edge in British drama comes from the National Theatre - not just its South Bank home but its venues around the country. Famous for breaking new talent and reinventing classics, the NT is also the queen of live broadcast, with masses of technology dedicated to making it an amazing experience for both audiences and stars. “It’s what you wish theatre would be like always,” says Billie Piper, whose sold-out starring role in Yerma was live broadcast last year.
- Julie, star playwright Polly Stenham’s sexually and socially charged update of Strindberg’s classic two-hander. Get NT Live: Julie tickets and times.
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD
There’s nothing like Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour: an open-air performance with a world-class view, over-the-top set design, acrobatics, fireworks, and the big-sky optimism you only get from sunkissed Sydney.
- This year’s performance is La Boheme, Puccini’s romantic classic set in Paris but here turned into a lavish, glittering production that will fill the harbour with joy. Get La Boheme on Sydney Harbour tickets and times.
THE HISTORIC HOME OF OPERA AND BALLET
Christmas classics like The Nutcracker, gorgeous fairytale ballets like Swan Lake and every famous opera all find their natural home in London’s Royal Opera House, known for its sky high standards and gorgeous staging. There’s every chance you’ll be watching at the same time as royalty.
- Wagner’s stormy opera Die Walkure. Get The Royal Opera: Die Walkure tickets and times.
- Verdi’s tragic opera La Traviata. Get The Royal Opera: La Traviata tickets and times.
THE CULTURAL HEART OF MOSCOW
Moscow’s iconic Bolshoi Theatre is home to the legendary Bolshoi Ballet, by far the world’s biggest dance company (only one ballet company is literally called ‘great’, after all.) Seeing a Bolshoi performance is an experience that everyone should have once in their lives. You can't beat the grandeur of its productions, the scale of its personalities or the depth of its history, all of which make it perfectly suited to the big screen. Expect fireworks.
THE MOST GLAMOROUS STAGE IN NEW YORKHuge glass windows; an auditorium ceiling entirely covered in 23 carat gold leaf; one of the most technologically advanced stages in the world - New York’s Met Opera House is breathtaking inside and out. Its broadcasting history goes back to 1910, when it started (experimentally) transmitting radio extracts of opera performances. Now you can catch Manhattan’s pioneering premieres and spectacularly reimagined classics on the big screen.
Keep your eyes peeled for the Met’s Live in HD season dates.